The reason why I don`t like talking on the phone







I do not like talking on the phone.
I always prefer talking face to face than talking on the phone. 
Maybe it's a bit related to an image of the phone that is felt to me superficial or official.
Or it may be related to my naturalistic taste (I don't like electronic machine).

In the past, I once talked with a psychiatrist about the issue. 
The professional seemed to try to find out some experiences or memories that have been left unhealed as trauma in my mind. 

However, I feel that my distaste of the phone is more deeply rooted in my personality that is intimately connected to the social and philosophical contexts. 



In our twenty first century society, we cannot avoid the phone regardless of our tastes. 
In the case of official phone calls, we have no choice but to make or respond phone calls. 
But in other cases, I do not want to be forced to make or respond phone calls. 
This is just my personality .. extremely introverted. 

However, I think that South Korean society is not a society where an individual person can freely live based on his or her own personality. 

I think my distaste of the phone is closely related to the social pressure that forces me to respond or make phone calls even in non-official matters. 
Simply put it, my distaste of the phone might be a reflection of my tired feelings that have been caused by such social pressures.

In my view, particularly the social pressure that disregards individual persons' personality is the most crucial factor that caused my distaste of the phone. 

Disregard for a person's personality is best expressed in the Korean words of '좋은 성격 (good personality)' or '나쁜 성격 (bad personality)'.

I do not like the situation which I 'must' follow what other people expect me to do or what other people regard as 'good'. 
But in a more fundamental level, I do not think that there are such things like '좋은 성격' or '나쁜 성격' in the first place. 

I believe no person can judge another person's personality.
Let's say there is a person in front of me. 
I don't think that I can legitimately say that I know who his or her personality really is, even if I have known him or her for many years. 
How can we know that?
All our perceptions of a person might be nothing but our prejudices. 
Of course, I do not object to the social system of employing a person based on interviews. 
What I mean is that the employers` judgments might be nothing but their preferences rather than the interviewee`s real capability (although whether the employers hire an interviewee or not is their own business, not mine). 


In a more profound level, I think that we humans tend to overestimate the degree of stability of our identities. 

I don`t think that a human`s identity is as stable a thing as we believe it to be.
We just struggle to have a stabilised identity of ourselves throughout our lives. 

A human`s identity, or a human`s personality, is not such a fixed or stable thing, but is an amorphous and unstable thing.  

One person can have a certain prejudice about personalities which they prefer. 
But that does not justify that a certain type of personality is `good` and another type of personality is `bad`. 
If a certain society has strong prejudices about certain personalities, then, I think, that proves the society is merely a very collectivist society in which a majority`s thoughts or views are dogmatically followed by its members regardless of each individuals` differences. 

Unless an individual person harms other members of society, no one can judge that the individual`s personality has a problem. 

But this logical explanation does not seem to be widely accepted among many people`s minds in South Korean society. 
Even my parents, since my childhood, have habitually tended to say that a certain person whom they know among their relatives has a good personality or has a bad personality. 
One of the standards that they used to judge the personalities was how often they contacted them!

Also, I do not think there are such things like `머리가 좋은 (good intelligence?)` student or `머리가안좋은 (bad intelligence?)` student. 
The existence of such Korean words exactly reflect the society`s collectivist prejudices about individual persons. 
How can we use the words `good` or `bad` to describe a person`s intelligence?
Some people are good at recalling things from their short-term or long-term memories.
Some people are good at associating one thing with another and at creating a new thing.
Some people are good at dissociating one thing from a complicated mass.
Some people are good at manipulating other people's behaviour or controlling other people's emotions (sadly, it's true).
And so on..  

Every one develops their intelligence in different ways depending on their environments and their genetic dispositions. 

I really wonder why, in Korean language, the adjectives of `good` and `bad` are so abused. 
Probably, this may show that the South Korean society is so judgmental, on the basis of a majority`s prejudices. 
This is why I call South Korean society a collectivist society, which features the typical tribal mindset of always discriminating `good and bad`, as it does with `we and you`, without any reasonable ground. 


















  






Comments

Popular Posts