Walks in the city




As there were in Dundee and St Andrews, there are some routes that I like to take a walk along in Edinburgh.
One of them is the street from my home to Granton Harbour Breakwater, along which I quite often jog. (a couple of photos of the breakwater on my previous blog: http://blog.daum.net/baeminteacher/307)
Especially I like this course when I run in the evening, because I could see sunset sometimes.






Another among my favorite routes is the one from the university library to Arthur's Seat. 
This evening, I ate too much for dinner at the restaurant thanks to the owner's kindness, so I took a walk to the hill after dinner. 



Owing to acrophobia, usually I do not climb up to the top. Today also, I just took some rest at about the middle of the hill. The breeze was cool and pleasing. 
The sky was neither sunny nor cloudy, or reversely could be said sunny and cloudy at the same time. 

The moving clouds were leaving their shadow on the land, blocking the sunlight. 
And the sun was, in turn, trying to make its appearance reach the land through the clouds from time to time.
It is a performance that clouds and the sun create in their collaboration.

I like the moving patches of shadows on a sunny land.
It's like a dancing of the sun with clouds, whose dress skirts drag on the land.
Likewise, I like the the rolling strips of the sun on a shady land too. 
Sunbeam comes like the lighting in a dark theatre, with the clouds dancing a group dance in a circle on the stage.  

Even after taking some rest at the hill I was still full, so I took another walk along Salisbury Crags. 



I remember the night when I walked below the cliff last winter.
It was a night before Christmas.
People were celebrating the coming holidays.
The city was busy preparing to greet new winter tourists.  
But, walking along the cliff that night, I could feel the calm and peaceful air hung above the city, in the misty clouds. 



Today, instead of the pale night clouds and the lights of the city beneath them, I bumped into a pheasant on my way back to the library.
She was just standing in my way, as if she was waiting for me to pay for the ticket of the performance I'd watched earlier. 



Just before finishing today's journey, which had been originally intended to soothe my full stomach, I took its last picture in front of a small tree. 
It was already well over 9 pm, which meant that I walked for more than three hours. 
I felt grateful to have the chance for such a long evening trip of early summer along the scenic hill and cliff and, most of all, in such a pleasing breeze and the warm sun, which I feel I wouldn't forget. 





Comments

Popular Posts