Travel to Exeter, England








After a long time I traveled to England.
It was my third visit to England this year, following the previous trips to Oxford and Reading.
Both trips were in February for archival consultation, thus it was too cold to walk around for long.
So this time I decided to take a long walk to enjoy the flavour of English countryside.
Fortunately, Exeter is not a big city, and if I compare it with the two places where I used to stay in Scotland, Exeter looked smaller than Dundee and bigger than St Andrews.
So, it did not take long for me to see a rural landscape.
All I did was just to keep walking along a small river.




I could see some white spots on the hill near the river, and I decided to climb it.
A flock of sheep and goats were peacefully grazing.



The sky was cloudy although it did not rain, and the cool wind brew from somewhere.
I enjoyed the breeze standing there for a while, looking at a village on the opposite hill across the river and some mountains that were remotely seen.
I walked down the hill again to the river which I came along, where a swan was now oaring gracefully.
I took a long walk along the river in the opposite direction from that which I came, and I crossed a small bridge which led to a road towards the city centre.
However, instead of going in the direction of the city centre, I walked along a cemetery, and I encountered a bridge built of steel in the Victorian style, whose name was 'Iron Bridge'.
Walking on the bridge and passing by the railway station, I finally came back to the accommodation in the university, where I stayed during the conference.



Instead of typical quadrangles that are often seen in old universities in the UK, Exeter university had several wide grass fields, which accommodated strikingly big and tall trees and a large pond.
The harmony of the trees and the pond was such that the campus was felt like a large botanical garden.
I was merely a guest of the garden whose hosts were squirrels, pigeons and cats.


Comments

Popular Posts