My Bucharest trip


This is my first visit to Eastern Europe.
However, I did not originally intend to come to Bucharest this summer.
If the price of accommodation in Edinburgh hadn't been so high as to the extent where the price of a bed in a hostel room in the city was almost equivalent to that of a single bed room in a hotel in Bucharest, I wouldn't have tried this travel.
Anyway I had to stay somewhere until early September, when I move in a new accommodation.
Also, if I hadn't subscribed to the Society for the Social History of Medicine and got the discount for the registration fee to the (2017 EAHMH) conference, I wouldn't have come here.
Anyhow, I've come to this city, and it is the second night of my stay.




A bowl of Vietnamese noodles as the evening meal on the day before my departure next morning to Bucharest




While waiting for my connecting flight at Brussels airport ..



Arriving at Henri Coanda international airport in Romania ..




Old grotesque buildings with satellite dishes and air conditioner condensers attached on the walls






My hotel room having a very close view of the Palace of the Parliament: the rainy first day afternoon with thunder and lightning, and the sunny second day morning..
The building is famous for its political and architectural inspiration from Kumsusan Palace of the Sun in Pyeongyang, North Korea, but in my eyes it reminded me of the buildings of Seonin school foundation, which is told to have been the largest private academic institution in South Korea in the past (during the 1970s and 80s). However, many of the school buildings had been demolished by the early 2010s, and when I visited Incheon last winter, the remaining buildings were largely ill-managed and deteriorated.




Dambovita river, the flow of which seemed to increase due to the rain yesterday



Naked kids were playing and diving in the water, which was not very clean. They looked happiest in the city.




Another grotesque building, inside which people were selling bland antiques and cheap jewelry

As I felt from the Palace building, this city looks similar to Incheon in a subtle way, where I used to live and spent my school days.


The old buildings of Seonin school foundation (now Incheon National University), December 2016



Comments

Popular Posts