My new accommodation and the museum


It's been just over a week since I moved in my new accommodation.
After staying in Scotland for 3 years, I feel now finally settled down in Edinburgh, where I have stayed since last September.
I hate moving, but ironically in my life I kept having to move from my childhood, as I once wrote in my previous post when I was in Deans Court, St Andrews (Link 1).
While moving this time, I got my precious whale friend, whom I made with clay last winter (Link 2), wounded despite all my efforts. He got his tail and arm broken.



Just after moving in my new accommodation.. the first thing I did was to take him out of the box and put him on the shelf with the other friend of his (pictured above). That day I decided that I would bring him to South Korea at any cost when I go back home.





The balcony cafe in the national museum in Edinburgh is one of my favorite places, where I often go to study instead of going to the university library.




One of the items in the museum that caught my eyes is a lower jawbone of a sperm whale on which sailors engraved an image of the whale (in 1843). But I feel sad whenever I see the bone, which reminds me of the cruel whaling history. The explanation of this exhibit also shows that 'during the 19th century whale oil was an important source of oil for heating, lighting and lubrication and whaling was big business'. (Ref. 1)




A blue whale which I think is one of the most beautiful animals in the world





A blue whale that was caught and killed .. (on the British island of South Georgia near Antarctica, 1917)






In the museum, there is a lighthouse lens that is exhibited in the main hall (Ref. 2). In Scotland, there are many beautiful lighthouses, and it is one of my bucket list items to travel around Scotland for visiting some of its lighthouses. Maybe if I am lucky I might be able to see some whales on the sea as well from the islands or cliffs that I visit. But the reason that I like lighthouses is not just because of beautiful landscapes in which lighthouses are usually located, but is also rooted in some of my desires in my life (Link 3).







The related previous posts in my old blog
Link1. About Deans Court, St Andrews - http://blog.daum.net/baeminteacher/171 
Link 2. About the whale - http://blog.daum.net/baeminteacher/308  
Link 3. About light houses - http://blog.daum.net/baeminteacher/299 

Reference source
1. 'The art of whaling' in National Museum of Scotland
2. 'Inchkeith lighthouse lens' in National Museum of Scotland


Comments

Popular Posts