May of Edinburgh


One of the things that I have always felt while staying in Scotland is that the best season here is spring.
And among the spring months, I think that May is certainly the most beautiful month.



I succeeded in taking a picture of the cherry blossoms that were being reflected on a small window of a cottage in the Princes park.




The warm sunlight was shining on the Princes park when I was climbing the Scott Monument.
The hands of my new watch were indicating the time 2:30 pm.
A peaceful afternoon on 2nd May 2018, which will never return in my life..

.
.
.

Every moment in life is precious, because the time that has passed does not return.
I know that life is not always sunny like that afternoon sky, but sometimes a warm sunlight that was felt on my face at a sunny day gives enough energy to go on in life.

There is an English novel that I read when I was in middle school (of course I read its Korean translated version).
It was Somerset Maugham's Of Human Bondage.
I remember I decided to read the long novel just because one day the thick book on a shelf of a bookcase in my home caught my eyes.
It was one of the very few long foreign novels that I, who was busy collecting stamps, read at that time (actually the only other one was Fyodor Dostoevsky's The Idiot, which also I don't remember why I chose to read).

Philip, the main character, was the most impressive medical doctor among a few whom I knew at that time, and later he encouraged me when I changed my job like him (although he and I changed jobs in the opposite way).
However, I didn't know why I remembered the last page of the novel in such a vivid way until that peaceful sunny afternoon the other day.



"He smiled and took her hand and pressed it. They got up and walked out of the gallery. They stood for a moment at the balustrade and looked at Trafalgar Square. Cabs and omnibuses hurried to and fro, and crowds passed, hastening in every direction, and the sun was shining."

From Of Human Bondage (W. Somerset Maugham, 1915)







Comments

Popular Posts