The aquarium and St Andrews’ summer






A seahorse in the St Andrews aquarium : For me, the piece of Guylian chocolate whose shape is the seahorse is always the one that I eat last. Without any logical ground, I feel the seahorse-shaped piece as the finest one among all the pieces in a box of the chocolate. Maybe it's because I regard the seahorse as one of the most elegant animals in the gallaxy.




A chameleon in the aquarium: I've never seen an animal with such a charismatic expression like him. He fixed his sight upon the (artificial) sun. He looked confident, ambitious and dedicated. I could not help but pay my full respect to him.


 

Penguins in the aquarium: I do not doubt that they are making plans to escape from the aquarium. It was only the stone wall that separated them from the North Sea. They must be able to feel the smell and the taste of the sea waves. Probably on the night when the penguins manage to escape the aquarium, the seagull, seemingly a guard of the aquarium, might be killed by them.






I spent about two weeks in St Andrews before coming to Seoul.
I ran outside in St Andrews as I had before when I lived there for a year. I ran along the wheat fields, beaches and golf courses..
The weather while I stayed in St Andrews was almost everyday cloudy and rainy.






So, when I arrived at Beijing airport, the scene outside the windows was felt as if the sky was welcoming me.
I had been excited for the over 9 hours’ stop-over in the city, but I couldn’t go outside the airport and couldn’t eat mapotofu... because I practically didn't have any money. Until then, I had not known that I shouldn' have expected any currency exchange counter outside the UK to change Scottish pound.





The day after coming back to Seoul, I went to Gwanghwamun to have some document notarised.
It was a typical summer weather which I’d been used to in the past.
However, except for the weather, there seem to be few things that I could find this summer having in common with my previous summers.




Nevertheless, this summer has been an extraordinary quiet season for me .. as if it’s been trying to hide itself from me.
Yes, quietness is not always about sound.
We might not have to walk along the beach alone in order to feel quietness.
Sometimes, experiences of quietness are enough to enter the quiet room in our minds..
.. as long as we keep the key to the door.








Comments

Popular Posts